Collectively, GIST members have provided the vast majority of non-governmental support for the nation's efforts to reform welfare and income security policy over the last decade. Through collaborative funding efforts, GIST has helped launch:
- The Welfare Information Project;
- State Priorities Partnership (formerly known as State Fiscal Analysis Initiative);
- Assessing the New Federalism project at the Urban Institute;
- Tax Policy Center at the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution; and
- Welfare Reform and Beyond project at the Brookings Institution.
GIST also currently staffs a Communications Collaborative, a growing network of nearly 50 grantmakers representing national and regional foundations interested in coordinating investments to build communications capacity in the field.