How Can Civil Legal Aid Support Effective Grantmaking for Economic and Social Justice?
September 30, 2013
This webinar featured funders and grantees who shared practical advice and examples for incorporating legal aid as a strategic tool in your program work.
- Jim Sandman, President, Legal Services Corporation
- Sandy Ambrozy, Senior Program Officer, Human Services, The Kresge Foundation
- Jerry Maldonado, Program Officer, Metropolitan Opportunity Unit, The Ford Foundation
- Deepak Bhargava, Executive Director, Center for Community Change
- Martha Bergmark, President, Mississippi Center for Justice
- Mary McClymont, President, Public Welfare Foundation
What Grantmakers Can Do Now:
- Identify grantmaking programs that could achieve improved outcomes and reach their goals more efficiently by adding civil legal aid partners.
- Identify and eliminate unintended barriers that can prevent legal aid providers from becoming grantees and subgrantees.
- Invite current grantees to investigate collaborations with legal advocates for those they serve.
- Partner with state IOLTA funders www.ambar.org/IOLTADirectory to identify legal aid programs that match your funding priorities.
- Provide general support for the legal aid groups that serve your own communities.
- Learn more about legal aid and areas of need by visiting: